Cupcake Banner

Monday, August 12, 2013

How to paint shoes with fabric paint

This year summer crept up and I realized I barely had any summer attire for Liam. He had been wearing boots and long socks and sleeves for months, then it warmed up and I wasn't ready. When we arrived to Florida my aunt who owns a consignment store told me to look through a bag of children's clothing that had just arrived. I got a few clothes and there were some perfect Nike sandals for Liam in just his size, the only problem was, they were pink, hot pink! So for less than $2 I set out to do a little DIY project to make these less girly, since I still have to keep the hot pink soles :) I'm excited to try this on some old pair of my own shoes.

Here's what you'll need:
-Fabric paint (I bought mine at Michaels)
-Paper plate
-A makeup sponge or sponge brush
- Newspaper or paper towel to protect area








They were pretty beat up anyway


Start off with your fabric paint of choice, this brand worked great


Squeeze some paint out onto the plate and go adding paint as needed


Dab out excess paint to avoid dripping and mess


Sponge down onto fabric repeating with a second coat if needed (I did 2 coats)
Painting the velcro was a bit tricky, I had to use a generous amount of paint and really dig the sponge into it.

Allow 72 to to air dry then throw your shoes into the washer with some soap and 
BAM, you have a new shoe!   
                                  




                                               
"Yay! No more pink shoes" 

No comments:

Post a Comment