Cupcake Banner

Saturday, May 31, 2014

Natural alternative to Pedialite

Last week my son was really sick, I didn't know exactly what he had but his symptoms included fever, cough and more coughing which lead him to vomit for 5 day days straight. I called the Pediatrician and she recommended I give my son Pedialyte and ginger ale. 

Those recommendation never sat well with me especially cause we don't buy any artificially dyed drinks in our home or soda so why would I want to give it to my son as a way to make him feel better? So right away I called my Mom, who is my go- to person for natural remedies and asked her for a "natural" drink alternative with electrolytes and she immediately said coconut water! The more I read up on it I found that the sugar content was equal to any of the sugary pedialyte drinks if not less but more importantly it was a earth made product.

So off to whole foods we went, to get our coconut. I chose to buy a real coco as oppose to a packaged drink because the drink that is the most pure and raw cost $8, and this coconut was $3 

Other fun facts about coconut water:
It's identical to human blood plasma meaning everytime you drink it, you're  getting a blood transfusion. It purifies, energizes and hydrates better than any artificial sports drink out there. 

      Long unpronounceable ingredients
              Artificial flavor and color not  to       mention nasty flavor 

The challenge with this coconut is getting it open. You will need you longest kitchen knife to just wack and wack until you get an opening big enough to fit a straw.


               Cold and delicious  


My son wasn't too interested or feeling well enough to drinking so I had to whip out my secret weapon and inject some into his mouth. 



4 comments: